Tuesday, January 15, 2008

*~Chapter 1 Post~*

When I first realized that we were going to have to read these chapters in order to write our blogs, I was bored already. After reading the first chapter, I realized just how fun this class might actually be if I just come in with a positive attitude.

While reading this chapter it was very easy for me to comprehend how computers work and what techniques should be used to teach a class. It talked about notebook computers, which are more commonly known as laptops, these were subjects that I was familiar with, so I decided that it might be interesting to learn more. It is so crazy how far technology has come. Even since I have been in elementary school, the computers have been upgraded by an extreme amount. How weird is it that we can access the Internet by using our cell phones?!?

The National Educational Technology Standards for Teachers, I thought was very interesting, because it defines the fundamentals for applying technology in K-12 educational studies. This is what most teachers need to have in order to teach efficiently to the students. This chapter in a few words, was trying to communicate just how vital it is for the students and the teachers to be well updated on the technological world. The reason for this is that as time goes on, most everything is going to require computer literate people. The whole basis for why we should understand technology was summed up in this one statement, "what students should know and be able to do to learn effectively and live productively in an increasingly digital world," which is the NETS-S emphasis. This whole chapter was very inviting, because it made me realize just how important it is for me to understand how to communicate through technology. It is a good way to communicate with parents, letting them be informed on their child's schedule. It is also a way in which we can teach our students vital material, and not bore them to death.

I feel that I have learned much more than I knew before, but I am very ready to learn a lot more. There is not much that I would like to share with my classmates just yet, but I am sure that eventaully I will have some kind of epiphany.

2 comments:

jgentile said...

Heather,

Thanks for being positive. Like your site title. One thing that might help keep you motivated is to write about the book chapters from the perspective of a critic. Let your readers know about the good and the bad of each chapter. Let us know what parts you'd advise us to read!

Valerie said...

Ha! I totally agree!! I was not into the whole reading of the chapter thing, but after reading, it wasn't too bad. I actually ended up learning things, and being interested in topics in the book. You should look at the "End of Chapter" section that after the chapter. That section gives examples of useful teaching tools/tips and other software programs, etc. I think those sections have gotten me the most motivated to want to learn other aspects of technology. I can't wait to use some of the programs I read about!!